BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, December 7, 2009

Everybody's Fine


Everybody's fine.
Really.
But are they happy?

These are some of the main questions that are intertwined throughout this flick starring Robert De Niro, Sam Rockwell, and Drew Barrymore.


In this movie review I will not be able to say too much without ruining it. In my opinion this fact makes a really good movie but it also makes it very hard on me to tell you about it. Most review sites such as Plugged In would tell you what happens and spoil the movie's plot (sometimes with a warning). I am sure that they do this in order to tell you what content is in the movie that you may want to be aware of. I am not going to do this though because I personally do not like it when a review ruins your cinema experience. I will still tell you of suggestive things but not with much detail that it will spoil the fun.

Robert De Niro plays Frank, a lonely father who is also a widow. When he tries to get his kids together(who are adults now), Frank's plans are put to a halt when the children all have various reasons to not being able to visit their father in despair. Since they could not find time to visit his house, he decides to go and visit them. This puts him on a sequence of events that teach him how to be a better father and also shows his understanding of modern life.

I like that this movie had nothing in it that was totally unbelievable. It was not too cheesy of a film and did not add in an action sequence for no reason. It was just a movie that felt like you really were there, as if you could feel the pain that Frank was feeling. That is true acting and gives a good presentation, not some mushy vampire-werewolf story, but like it is really happening in front of you. Although I highly doubt he will, I think De Niro deserves an Academy award for his part in this film.


There is a scene where there is very brief but obvious cussing of various sorts, a prostitute is seen in a short scene, and also a little mention of homosexuality but besides that the movie is clean. If these parts could be edited just a little, I am sure that this movie could earn a PG rating.

This movie may not be the most popular right now but it is certainly not something to overlook. If you don't want to see it now, at least plan on seeing it sometime in the future because it is simply a good movie and I cannot find anything wrong with it besides what I have already said above. If you are a parent I am recommending this to you, it will most likely inspire you. Although it is not a hopeful feel-good movie as the recent "The Blindside", but it is not as much of a depressing movie as "The Pursuit of Happyness" but still good quality and shows modern life on screen in one of the best forms I have seen.

0 comments: