BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Lovely Bones




"My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie. I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973.

My murderer was a strange man. I was so stupid but as I look down from up here, the inbetween of Heaven and Earth, I can see how the people I was connected to are coping with my loss. My murderer would never understand how much my father loved me."

With some themes said above you can assume this would be a pretty dark film and could turn away a viewer due to having to deal with a plot like that. Somehow Peter Jackson was able to turn it around and still make Alice Sebold's bestselling novel into an Award nomminated film. Nothing is to be found wrong with this movie that is wrong, save for a little bit of bad language that is placed purposefully, not just for the reason of placing it there because they felt like spewing cuss words out (like Tropic Thunder did). Aside from that there is also some blood seen in an intense scene. I am warning you that this is a depressing film and depicts how a young girl died and the events that followed. Not exactly your average feel-good Pixar movie but it is very well done.


The moral parts of this movie are just as good as the ones of "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus". Although they do not mention God, there is a heaven that is not one that I would have imagined but it is what Director Peter Jackson made it out to be. Along with teaching how much a father can love, it is shown how Susie struggles to let go of her previous life on earth and move on to heaven. Like God does in real life, the story is a lesson overall how good can come about the wrong things in life even though we cannot always see it.

A few other allegories are spread in and out of the rest of the movie and the actors make it all piece together to form this masterpiece. Actors such as Saoirse Ronan, Mark Wahlberg and also Stanley Tucci (who was recently nominated for an Academy Award for his depiction of Susie's killer in this movie).

0 comments: